Saturday, February 23, 2013

Morals vs. Money: MAKEUP


[image via flikriver.com]

Part 2 of Morals vs. Money: 

Makeup Edition

I had a long conversation with my cousin V about socially conscious, eco-friendly, vegan, make-up. V and I both had horrible experiences when we were younger with trying our mom's makeup on and ending up with allergic reactions and hives. In my case, my hives were so bad and lasted MONTHS that I had to go to the dermatologist and get prescribed topical steroids. Not fun. In response to our traumatic experiences, along with our desire to be socially conscious consumers, we have done a bit of research on brands which fulfill our requirements. These are my findings:


  • E.L.F. AKA EyesLipsFace
    • One of my top cheap and vegan friendly makeup brands-and when I say cheap, I mean CHEAP as in $1-3 for most of their products like lip gloss, eyeshadow, eye liner etc. I have bought quite a few of their products and I must say that the only drawbacks are that the natural hair essentials cosmetic brushes aren't vegan and that their lip products contain parabens, which are vegan but as I discussed in my post on soap, have adverse effects. 
  • Urban Decay
    • UD is known for their high quality makeups and "unusual"/alternative coloration options (they could be found in stores like hot topic, black fly, you get the drift.) They even have a seperate page for all their vegan products. While their quality is good, and their products do not contain parabens, they are a bit on the pricey side with the infamous Naked Eyeshadow palette costing around $45. If you do the math however, buying a good quality makeup like this that will minimize the risk of breakouts/skin allergies and last for a while can actually be more economical. 
  • WetNWild
    • Decently priced and mostly vegan, WetNWild is a good choice. I love that their statement on animal testing is as follows: "As a Peta-certified, cruelty-free brand, we're proud to say we have never and will never test on animals. We also make it a point to work with cruelty-free, third-party vendors. wet n wild loves our furry, scaly, and feathery friends!"   A list of their vegan products can be found here. I personally have only used their nail polishes, but have had great results with those.
  • Everyday Minerals
    • A company based out of our very own Austin, Texas that is vegan, cruelty free and eco-conscious. Their products are pocketbook friendly and are likely to get along with most skin types-even the very sensitive ones.
  • Hard Candy
    • [image via pinterest.com]
    • Sold at Walmart, these products are supposedly vegan/cruelty free although I could not find any evidence on the website. I am currently waiting confirmation of this directly from the company.
Some other notable brands which are socially conscious/vegan but are a bit on the pricey end are:

A full list of PETA approved companies which do not test on animals can be found here. Note that purely vegan companies are marked with an asterisk. 

Now that you have some great socially conscious and budget friendly options to choose from, here is some inspiration for some new makeup looks!

Happy Shopping!
XOXO,
MissEcoChic



5 comments:

  1. If a company is truly cruelty free, you can find it on PETA's approved list: http://www.mediapeta.com/peta/PDF/companiesdonttest.pdf I did not find Hard Candy on the list. All the other companies look great though. This is very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that these products are vegan, and though I have not tried specific 'makeup' products by vegan have purchased vegan shadow appliators, foundation/brow/and smudge brushes, eyelash wand and curlers and have found that these items are by no means built to last. Flimsy, the shadow applicators fell apart within two days of use, and the bristles on the foundation brush fall off regularly. My hunch is that they are cheap because you are indeed getting what you pay for, vegan or otherwise.
    vegan makeup brands

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ready to drop some cash on high quality vegan brushes to replace all the animal hair ones I am currently using. I’ve had some of my animal hair ones for quite a few years now and I had purchased/was given them before I came to the decision to go cruelty-free with my cosmetic collection.
    vegan makeup brushes





    ReplyDelete
  4. Vegan makeup, or all planet-friendly makeup is the latest trend in the fashion world. If you are going to spend the extra green at the grocery store checkout line by purchasing healthier organic fruits and vegetables, why not also invest in your skin’s overall health by purchasing vegan products?
    vegan makeup brushes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makeup brushes perform a variety of different tasks, so depending on your normal makeup regime, you might only need one or two (then again, you may be perfectly happy with plastic applicators). Therefore, whether you are looking for something specific or a would like whole set to get yourself covered is up to you.
    vegan makeup brushes

    ReplyDelete